Tips and Information on Mini Crib Bedding
As we all become parents for the first time, we have a massive list of things that we have to arrange for and purchase before our new bundle of joy arrives. Bottles, car seats, strollers, the list goes on and on. You’ll have a lot of decisions to make, because for every product you need, it seems like there are a hundred options for it.
One of the first things you are going to need when you get your newborn home is some type of crib. To start out with, you will probably look for something that you can use in your bedroom, that way you can easily monitor the baby and deal with the nightly feedings.
Mini Cribs versus Portable Cribs
You’ll have several choices here, but usually most parents end up choosing between a portable crib and a mini crib. These two cribs are fairly similar. Both the portable and mini crib are close to the same size. Generally, they can use the same bedding. Both are convenient when you need to save some space in a room.
They do have a few differences though. Portable cribs, and especially the version known as pack n play, easily fold up, so they can be carried on vacation or when you go off to a relatives house.
Mini cribs, while they may fold up somewhat, are still relatively large and wouldn’t be convenient to carry. Instead, you would probably purchase another one if you had a relative you visit often and leave it there.
One of the biggest strengths of the mini crib is that you can get a 5 ½ inch thick mattress, which affords a lot more comfortability. Since these are more comfortable, many parents opt to use them in their own bedrooms until the baby is moved down to his or her nursery. Let’s take a closer look at the mini crib.
It is hard to nail down an exact definition of a mini crib. Some people believe that mini cribs encompass bassinets, portable cribs and the smaller wooden cribs. Whether it does or not is a matter of debate, but in the long run, it really doesn’t matter too much. What matter is that you have what you need when the baby arrives. Let’s take a quick look at each of these and see what their features are:
- Bassinet – This would be the smallest option you have. Usually these types of cribs have a hood that folds up to keep the light out. Some of these have little motors that run on batteries that allow the bassinet to rock back and forth. Others vibrate or play music. Another nice feature of these is that many come with (or you can add on) a mobile to help entertain the baby.
- Portable Crib – This is the most versatile crib you can get. The most common version, the Pack N Play, can fold up into a small rectangle that has a carry case. When the baby is young, it has an attachment that fits inside it for the baby to lay on that puts it at a similar height to a bassinet. When they are older, you can remove this and they can lay down inside the crib. These can also be used as play pens, when you need to keep the baby contained. They also offer many similar features to the Bassinet like the mobile and music.
- Wooden Mini Crib – The wooden mini crib looks very similar to a standard crib, just in a smaller size. You can add all kinds of nice decorative mini crib bedding sets to them. From bumpers to sheets, every mother loves to deck out that first crib. These types of cribs usually fold up flat, so they can be stored under a bed or in a closet. As mentioned earlier, one of the nicest features is that you can get a thicker mattress, up to 5.5 inches, which makes it a lot more comfortable. These are generally very sturdy and are great to use as a first crib in your bedroom.
Now that you know about Mini Cribs, lets take a look at some of the mini crib bedding sets that are available today and what they might include.
Mini crib bedding
The first thing you are probably wondering about is what is included in a typical mini crib bedding set? Here are some of the standard items typically included:
- Fitted Sheet for the Mattress
- Bumper Pad (Please note that bumper pads may cause suffocation risks and are not being recommended to be used, we are just mentioning that they do come with the sets)
When you are looking at these sets, you want to be aware of what material it is being made out of. Most of the time, you’ll probably want to look for a set that is completely made of cotton. Cotton is generally very durable and soft, providing the baby some comfort.
Another consideration is the price range. As we most baby related products, you can spend just a small amount up to unimaginable sums. However, most mini crib bedding sets fall somewhere in the $50 through $200. If you are just looking for the sheets, you should be able to get them for between $20 to $50 dollars per set.
One last consideration that you should have is the size of the bedding. First off, you need to check the size of the mattress you have. Then compare that with the size of the mini crib bedding that you want to purchase. While most sizes are pretty standard, you may run into some odd stuff that is difficult to fit. One of the easiest ways to ensure a good fit is to purchase both the mini crib and the bedding at the same time.
There is one last item we want to look at since the baby will be resting here and that is safety.
Some safety issues to keep in mind
There are several things you need to keep in mind and check when you are using any type of crib. Here are a few suggestions:
- Always make sure that any screws or bolts that are on the crib are securely tight.
- Avoid using heavy, thick bedding, as it could possibly cause suffocation.
- If you crib folds, when you fold it down, make sure all latches are correct and in place.
- If your sides slide up and down, make sure they are locked in place.
- Use only an appropriate mattress pad. Don’t add any extra padding, which could cause a hazard.
- If you are using a Pack N Play, check the mesh for tears or any wear on it.
- Do not use pillows in a crib.
- Make sure the bottom sheet is a fitted sheet.
- Make sure the mattress fits in good and tight in the crib
This is by no means a complete check list, but we want you to be aware that there are safety risks when using cribs. You need to follow all instructions that came with your particular crib to help ensure that your baby is safe.
Once you have made your selections, the only concern you will probably have in the long run is wanting to change your mini crib bedding. It is one of the fun parts of decorating and it is inexpensive to do. If you need more information about this, please visit some of our other articles.